What is Xanax (Alprazolam)? A comprehensive guide on its uses and dosage.
What is Xanax Tablet?
Xanax is a widely used medication belonging to the triazolobenzodiazepine class, specifically benzodiazepines integrated with a triazole ring. Its medical name is Alprazolam. Xanax received a patent in 1971 and became eligible for use in the United States in 1981. This tablet is classified as a Schedule IV controlled substance and is commonly abused. One of the reasons for its popularity is that it is available as a generic tablet. In fact, it had over twenty million prescriptions in 2018.
How Does Xanax 1mg Tablets Work?
Xanax works by increasing the effects of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), a brain chemical that promotes calmness and relaxation. This drug helps reduce excitement in the brain, making it effective for treating panic disorders and anxiety. However, it can also cause drowsiness, slow breathing, and respiratory depression.
How To Take Xanax Pills
When taking Xanax, it is important to follow the doctor’s instructions carefully. Here are the recommended instructions for taking this medication:
If you have anxiety:
- Immediate-release tablets – Anxiety: Take 0.25 to 0.5 mg orally three times daily. The maximum recommended daily dosage is four milligrams.
If you have panic disorder:
- Immediate-release tablets – Panic Disorder: Take 0.5 mg orally three times daily. The highest recommended daily dose is 10 milligrams.
- Extended-release tablets: Take an initial dose of 0.5 to 1 mg orally once daily. The maintenance dose is three to six milligrams orally daily in the morning. The maximum daily dosage is ten milligrams.
When discontinuing therapy or reducing the daily dosage, it is important to gradually reduce the dosage. Do not decrease the dosage by more than 0.5 mg in three days. However, some patients may need to reduce their dosage more slowly. The dosage of extended-release tablets should be increased at intervals of three to four days, with increments of around 1 mg daily. The timing of medication intake should be consistent.
Geriatric dose for panic disorder:
For elderly or debilitated patients:
- Immediate-release tablets: Take an initial dosage of 0.25 mg orally two to three times daily.
- Extended-release tablets: Take an initial dose of 0.5 mg orally once daily.
Why Buy Xanax in the USA?
Xanax is a potent medication that provides instant relief. Additionally, it is available as a generic medicine, making it affordable. This is particularly significant considering the high cost of drugs in the United States.